As I’ve been in the motivational part of figuring out the costs of my trip and figuring out the different places to go, I almost forgot about the most important part – FOOD. I (unfortunately) won’t be able to eat out at restaurants for every meal for a month, but through looking through different online sources and checking out stuff at grocery stores, I’ve come up with a healthy list of food, snacks, and meals that are perfect for the road! The best part is that a lot of them don’t require refrigeration, and all of them are vegetarian* (most vegan)!
- Cashews, Almonds, Pecans, Pistachios, and other edibles of the nut variety
- Air-popped popcorn
- Kale/Spinach Chips (can make homemade super easily!)
- Dried Fruit
- Rice Cakes
- Trail Mix
- Peanut Butter & Crackers
- Sunflower Seeds
- Veggies and hummus
- Olives and Pickles
- Veggies and Guac
- Hard Boiled Eggs*
- String Cheese*
- Dark Chocolate*
- Homemade Popsicles
- Fresh Fruit Smoothies
- Protein bars (there are vegan options for these at most grocery stores)
- Bread and Peanut Butter (or Almond Butter, or Apple Butter)
- Cereal (can eat dry or with almond milk if you have bowls!)
- Chips and Crackers
- Soup if you feel comfortable with campfire cooking
- Tortillas! They’re super useful for leftovers. I make mixed burritos a lot from rice and beans and veggie leftovers. They’re even good as just a veggie wrap!
- Rice and Beans Mex Mix w/ Veggies
- Salad mixes with nuts and fruit!
- Dried Pasta mixes (just add water and cook)
- Any kind of soup or stew; you’d be surprised at the amount of vegan soup/stew recipes you can find that are super easy to cook over a campfire!
I’ll be posting some of the more specific recipes later, but for now this is a great list to get started, and hopefully it will give you some ideas! Happy fooding!