Going through all my old stuff had some serious benefits! One being that I found a 6 year old Prevention magazine with some AWESOME recipes in it. 8/10 were vegetarian or vegan (not even sure they meant to do that haha)!
You can easily make this vegan by replacing the egg with applesauce! There’s plenty of lists with vegan substitutes you can find online or on Pinterest (thank goodness).
Recipe for: Lemon Squares! (Total time: 50 minutes)
1 cup + 3 TBSP all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar (I like coconut sugar!)
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter (vegan or not, depending on your lifestyle)
1 egg (or applesauce! …or any of the other 100s of substitutes!)
1 egg white (see above…)
1 large lemon
1/8 tsp baking powder
1 tsp confectioners’ sugar
- Heat oven to 350. Spray 8″x8″ baking pan with oil.
- Mix 1 cup of the flour, 1/4 cup of the sugar, and salt in medium bowl until well combined. Cut butter into flour mixture with pastry blender until a crumbly dough forms.
- Press dough evenly into bottom of prepared baking pan. Bake until lightly golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Cool.
- Whisk egg/egg white (or applesauce) and remaining 1/2 cup of sugar in a large bowl until combined. Grate zest and squeeze juice from lemon and add to egg mixture. Add baking powder and remaining 3 TBSP flour. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour lemon mixture over cooled shortbread base. Bake until set and lightly brown at edges, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool and dust lightly with confectioners’ sugar using mesh strainer. Cut into 16 squares.
Per serving: 103 cal, 2g protein, 17g carb, 0.5g fiber, 3.5g fat, 2g sat fat, 50mg sodium